I purchased a new car in September 2010 because the one I was driving really old, had lots of problems, and I figured it would be better to start off new with a fresh 5 year warranty, a fully functional gas tank, and lower mileage.
I named my new car Bob the Car and it was great to have new wheels. My old one was the bare minimum and Bob has all the features. Power windows, heated seats, a USB drive for listening to music, and heated side mirrors for those cold winter mornings.
Lately, however, I’ve mostly just been wishing that the earth would open up and swallow Bob the Car, leaving my insurance company to replace him with something else.
First of all, for some mystery reason, half of the fuses blew around the beginning of December. So into the dealership we went to put that nice new warranty to work. The fuse panel and busted fuses were replaced and all was covered. At this time, I mentioned to the mechanic that the USB function of my radio had been malfunctioning and frying my flash drives. So they ordered a new one of those as well and off I went, confident in my new fuse panel and ordered radio.
Then, 2 days after Christmas, I went to move my car for the boyfriend’s father so he could get out of the driveway and I was shocked and dismayed to discover that all the same fuses were blown again.
I had no panel lights, no automatic windows, no rear defrost, and no dinging sound to tell me my seat belt was not fastened.
I was livid. I called the dealership and left a message (it being the holidays and all) and they called me back the next day and told me because the mechanic who had worked on my car the first time was on holidays until after New Years, they wanted to know if I could wait to bring it in. So I agreed and waited a week to take Bob the Car in again. This time, apparently, it was the modulator, which of course, was on back order. So they did the same temporary fix as last time and on my not so merry way I went.
The fuses did eventually blow again a few days before the part came in, so I got to spend another few days avoiding night driving as I couldn’t see how fast I was going and not being able to do drive through Timmie’s in the morning because the window wouldn’t go down.
The good new was that the radio was in when they did the temporary fix (the second one) and they installed it for me. The bad news was that they didn’t hook it up to the antenna and all it did was scroll through the radio stations, searching for some kind of a signal. And so, back I went again to wait 20 minutes before work while they hooked the radio up to the antenna and Voila! The radio picked the invisible signals from the air once more.
I will say, after all the problems with the radio and the eventually replaced modulator, Bob the Car has been working perfectly…until the other night.
Let me set the scene for you. We had just returned home from an all you can eat wing night with The Games Day Podcast and friends, dropped off by IT Mike and his awesome girlfriend. The boyfriend went upstairs to do some homework and I told him I would be back, as I had to return the movies we had rented for Valentine’s Day. I grabbed them and headed out to Bob the Car. I sat in the driver’s seat and went to insert the key into the ignition, frowning when it was a little difficult to do so. I figured it was just a little frosty and shoved a little harder, the key finally going all the way in.
But this was not the end of my tale. The key would not turn. No matter what I did; wiggling the steering wheel, the gear shift, pressing the brake or swearing like a drunken sailor on leave…that key wasn’t going anywhere. So I sat and cried in my little car, so angry and upset that I couldn’t do anything else.
Then I grabbed the information from the glove box, went inside and called the free roadside assistance that I got when I purchased my car (another bonus with buying the new car). I called and the lady on the other end heard what I had to say and immediately said, “Oh, just wiggle the steering wheel, press the brake and turn the key at the same time.” I sighed but humoured her, performing this task to no avail. She then told me I would have to have a tow truck come and get it (thankfully covered by the roadside assistance). So I waited for almost two hours for the tow truck to show up, try the same thing I already had, tell me that his flatbed tow wouldn’t work as I had front wheel drive, a long and narrow laneway, and a wrong way facing vehicle. He then told me he’d cancel the order and that I should call again in the morning, request a tow truck with a dolly and have it towed to the dealership. He was very nice and polite and I thanked him, went inside and called my boss to tell him I’d likely be late in the morning and working from home, and then I went to bed, cursing Bob the Car.
So in the morning, I did all the rigamaroll with calling roadside service again, getting the right tow truck and watching him come and take Bob the Car away. I caught a cab to work and got down to business, ignoring the boiling anger inside me that my car wasn’t working yet again. I received a call later that morning to tell me that the ignition column was shot and was on back order (shocking) and that they were setting me up with a rental car.
So now I’m driving a giant vehicle (as compared to my little hatch back) around with no idea when this new part will come in and reunite me with Bob the Car. I kind of feel like I’ve gone from riding a tricycle to powering around in a monster truck.