It’s starting to maybe look like spring could finally make an appearance up here in southwestern Ontario. We have had a few days of above zero weather and that always leads to one of my favorite things about spring: random items slowly revealed in snowbanks. The other night was my first object seem this year. Someone was unfortunate enough to lose their nice running shoe this winter.
I was talking to a co-worker on break today when the subject of clothing came up and I was shocked to discover that her boyfriend is vehemently against wearing blue jeans and sneakers together in an ensemble.
After I picked my jaw up off of the floor I began peppering her with questions about this, such as, “What does he think you SHOULD wear with jeans?” and “What the heck does he wear with sneakers if not jeans?”. She answered my questions patiently, stating that apparently he thinks you should only wear things like casual dress shoes (loafers and such) with jeans and sneakers should only be worn with athletic-type pants (yoga pants/Adidas workout type pants, etc…).
I still couldn’t fathom this as, outside of work, my entire wardrobe consists of wearing t-shirts, jeans, and sneakers. I can’t imagine never wearing the two together as so many people that I see on a daily basis, in real life and on television, wear sneakers and jeans together. So I started asking around at work. I surveyed my co-workers to find out what their thoughts were on the subject. One person immediately said that she didn’t think you should ever wear jeans with sneakers but most everyone else seemed as confused as I was.
Some people immediately answered that it was, of course, a normal and acceptable fashion trend and others had conditions and questions, as follows:
- never wear sneakers with skinny jeans – I wholeheartedly agree with this because a) skinny jeans are mostly ridiculous and b) that is a fashion statement best left in the 80’s
- on the flip side, it was mentioned that, as the sneakers were referred to as “running shoes” in my email, one should never wear jeans when running in sneakers – point taken
- it was pulled into question as to what constitutes running shoes – most believed that athletic sneakers, Converse, skate shoes, and anything like them were considered applicable
- a suggestion was made that one should never wear jeans and a jean jacket at the same time – this was immediately identified as a Canadian Tuxedo (I swear…I totally don’t do this…much)
- Our wonderful IT guy also wanted to know if the shoes were blue – I didn’t have an answer for this but it did make me laugh
In the end, the total ended up being 13 people agreeing that it was normal and acceptable to wear sneakers with blue jeans and 2 people being against the concept entirely. It was also agreed that it would depend on when/where you were sporting this outfit as to whether it would be okay.
Anyone else want to put in their 2 cents? Answer below: